Sunday 18 October 2009

UP

The Family Mad raided the boys piggy banks and went to see Up yesterday at the local independent cinema.  Both boys have been looking forward to this, Disney have been showing "up"isodes on Playhouse Disney, so they both knew about it.

MaxiMad really enjoyed all of Up, he especially liked when they were exploring and the balloons on the house.  It held his attention throughout the film and he really liked Kevin the bird.  MiniMad started off well, but soon got fidgety.  We knew if was a risk taking both, but he really wanted to go.  He managed most of the film, but I think that it will be DVD for us in the future.    I am glad that we only saw it in 2D, as I am not sure either of the children would have managed the specs.

I thought it was a lovely film, with great animation as I have come to expect from Disney Pixar.  It is basically the story of 78 year old Carl Fredricksen who after his wife dies decides to follow the dream they had as children. 

I found this very moving, but what it said to me is that although you have to have aims and dreams, you have to live your life as though it is one big adventure.  I guess I am just in a reflective mood at the moment and this seemed to emphasise this.

Both me and MadDad enjoyed the film and have decided it will be on our christmas list!!

Now about the cinema......



I do love going to The Regent, it reminds me of when I was young and I used to go to the Saturday club at 10am.  The cinema is very much the same now as it was then, which is wonderful.  It is by the Sea and is just a great cinema.  It is large, open and airy inside, with big seats that dont spring back up on the children easily.

We go here as it is half the price of the big multiplex, it is closer and if we dont support it then it might close. 

For anyone interested Redcar is where the beach scenes for Atonement were filmed and The Regent held the premiere of the film.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to go to the Saturday club too!!! It's been years since I went to the Regent, my husband is desperate to go and see a film there, he wants the full 'Regent experience'! Did you see Atonement being filmed? It was a surreal experience! I've watched the film, which is amazing, but find it hard to concentrate on that scene because I'm too busy looking for local landmarks! The director said that those scenes were the 'jewel in the crown' of the whole film and how hard it was to orchestrate such a sequence, but it was worth it.

I'm glad you've had a good day out, seeing 'Up' I hope to take my clan soon.

Jen Walshaw said...

We still lived in Berkshire when Attonement was filmed and having read the book, I can not bring myself to watch the film, so many films into books are pants.

I do love the Regent, although there is no longer an intermission or people selling chocs and drinks at the front like they use to when I was younger all those years ago!!

Linda said...

really want to see this even though a review I published on www.havealovelytime.com wasn't as positive as it could have been...by the way have just given you your second award...it's a "I love your blog" one. Hope that is okay. x

Anonymous said...

Do see the film, I agree usually they are a bad job but Atonement, I found was a nice little package, if you've read the book then the film goes very nicely with it. It's actually very well done. It's one of my favourite books, and also one of my favourite films, I think that if you haven't read the book before you see the film you miss something. And of course, it's worth seeing just for the Redcar scenes! Seeing James McAvoy trekking to 'the beaches' through South Gare!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, no more intermission?!! That's all part of it! I remember the film used to break down at least once during the performance and then the heating would blast you then it would be off and you'd be freezing!! But I'm not being fair, I haven't been for many, many years!

Unknown said...

Made me want to go to the movies now! Love that cinema! Suzie. xx

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails