Friday 9 October 2009

Pear Butter

We were given a bag full of pears from my wonderful sister in law, off the tree in their garden at the social club.  Now the mini's love pears and ate lots, but I wanted to do something with the rest of them to remind us of Autumn all through the dark and cold winter and also to give as gifts for our Thrifty Christmas.

So we decided to make a pear butter/jam thing.  MadDad set too pealing all the pears, whilst I cored them and he then chopped them.  We put the in the slow cooker with a little water and left them to cook over night on low.



I then blended them in the Magimix and popped them back the slow cooker, along with the zest and juice of 4 oranges and a teaspoon of all spice and let it cook down until it mounded on the spoon.

Whilst they were cooking I popped all the jars and lids in the dish washer and set it on a hot wash.



Then I Jared them all up and popped them in a large casserole pan of boiling water for 10 minutes.




Et voila yummy pear butter.  Now to make the labels and store.

All this productiveness makes me feel so much better.  Sorry for all the self pity.  We will manage and Christmas will be fantastic because I am going to be fine and we will spend it together as a family.  Thank you for all the kind words and thoughts.  Things can only get better.

3 comments:

BadPenny said...

coo that looks yummy. You are allowed to wallow every now & then - no need to say sorry. Low key Christmasses can be fun. Gather ivy & berries to decorate - they are free ! Sing Carols - I'm not religious but love to sing ..it's theraputic. Ignor all the commercial stuff - it's only marketing after all. Enjoy your lovely family. Fruit & nuts in stockings is traditional and makes me smile when the kids dig deep & find them. New socks & pants are practical fillers too ! Friends & extended family don't need presents maybe a card with a few words. Don't be too hard on yourself about it. Wrap small presents in big boxes with scrunched up newspaper & a few sweets inside - the kids will love it ! Just enjoy and get back to basics - you'll be fine. xx

Jen Walshaw said...

It is so yummy, I am stopping myself eating it all. I am going to do a hamper of homemade goodies for the people we love. The boys dont really need anything and anyway we want them to understand the value of family rather than gifts.

Local Girl said...

Wow I have never seen that before, it looks so yummy! One to add to my Christmas making list x

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails