Monday 9 November 2009

Tea Cup Candles



Well I have been busy preparing for Christmas, we like to give homemade and  handcrafted presents and this year at TheMadHouse we are a little strapped for cash due to illness and other issues, so I am trying to make it a Thrifty Christmas.




I have been collecting pretty tea cups, saucers and tea plates from charity shops since the summer to turn them into tea cup candles for Mini and Maxi Mads teachers, teaching assistants and also the lovely ladies that run the toddler group we attend.



So  I thought I would do a quick tutorial and let you know just how easy and child friendly this is to do with the introduction of eco soy wax.




Eco Wax is wonderful, not only is it environmentally friendly made from 100% soy beans, it is clean burning and melts at a lower temperature, making it super easy and perfect for the craft enthusiast or first timer like MaxiMad and me.

What you need:

Tea cups of other containers
Wicks (I used premade voltive ones)
EcoSoy Container Wax
Scented Oils (I used Jasmine)
A microwaveable jug



I got the wax, wicks and fragrance from Debbie at Whicks n Whacks.  She is very reasonably priced especially when you take into account postage etc.



We started by washing the cups in hot water and drying them thoroughly (actually I popped them in the dishwasher),  we then melted a small amount of wax in our hands and popped a tiny amount on the bottom of the pre waxed wick and placed them in the centre of the tea cups.



We then melted some wax in the microwave just until it had all turned liquid and added 10% of the volume of fragrance to it.



Then I poured the wax into the cups and allowed to set.




It was as easy as making a cup of tea.  But the most wonderful art of this is that Eco-Soy wax is washable with soap and water, so you can wash the tea cups out and reuse them.  Any spills you make will also wipe away really easily. 



In fact I had collected so many cups and saucers we care going to have some left over, so if you are intested in buying one, please email me.



All I need to do now is to make some labels for them on luggage tags, with the details of the Eco Wax and reusability of the tea cups.

23 comments:

Local Girl said...

They look absolutley brilliant, you collected some great cups! So cute and easy to make. Love them :)

Snafflesmummy said...

i love these. I will have to start collecting teacups.

whoatemycrayons said...

What a fabulous idea! Wish I had thought of it...

BadPenny said...

these are fabulous and any teacher would surely love a homemade present like this.. wish I'd done it !

dottycookie said...

I've had the very same plan for the ladies in my family - but hadn't tracked down a wax source. So thank you for that!

The wife of bold said...

What a marvellous idea i'm soo going to try this out for my nan, mum, sis, sis - in law, in fact all the ladies in my life, genius!! The best homemade gift idea i've ever seen - not so sure my attemp will resemble yours but i can't wait to try!

Snafflesmummy said...

how many grams of wax did you buy to make that many?

Jen Walshaw said...

SnafflesMummy - Initially I bought the 997g with the cheaper postage and that did about six. In total I have 18 out of less than 2.5 kg.
Wife of Bold - the beauty of Eco Soy way is that it pools evenly giving a professional finnish. MaxiMad really did help.

You could even use spice jars and kilner jars from Ikea as containers. They smell wonderful

Angela said...

That is a good idea. My Aunty would appreciate something like that.

Unknown said...

I have just been to the site, its brilliant, and now I want to make some. I think you may have started something here. What lovely and unusual gifts for christmas and other celebrations! Thanks! suzie. xxx

Anonymous said...

They look beautiful, well done!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

You've collected such pretty tea cups!! I always pick these up at thrift stores and the like to re-purpose into gifts, and I love the idea of making a couple into candles. You've made it seem so easy! I am planning a tea post later this week as part of the Violet Posy party, so when I do I'll link to you for sure. :-)

skirts and wellies said...

They look great. Very good instruction pics too. I'm impressed.

Las Vegas UK Mums said...

Great idea, I like that you can select the fragrance too. I have never made candles but this looks like a good place to start!

Stephanie said...

I've just bought the stuff from the site you recommend.... thank you for this!! Charity shops next...

Kelly said...

I had the cups but was confused regarding the wax and bits so thanks for the link.

LittleGreenFingers said...

Love this idea! Am off to scour the charity shops now for teacups...

PippaD said...

And my address for sending me my Christmas gift is.... ;)

Potty Mummy said...

those are great! How much are you selling them for?

Jen Walshaw said...

Potty - thanks for the compliment. I would charge £9 plus postage for 1 and £15 for a pair

Victoria said...

I am INSPIRED

mitmot said...

Thanks so much for sharing your link on my blog comments. i have orderd all of the ingredients and will be giving it a go over the weekend xx

Cara - Freckles Family said...

Thank you so much for the link! I think this is well worth a strawberry. Known in some circles as a win-win, no?

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails